Introduction: Full-size Lego Space Helmet
When I was growing up the vintage Lego Space sets were my favorite. This past year, The Lego Movie featured some of these old-school spacemen. I've always loved their iconic cylindrical helmets. I thought it would be cool to make a full-size, wearable version of the helmet worn by the Classic Lego Space minifigs.
For the Lego nerds: The Classic Space Helmet has actually gone though a few modifications over the years. The character Benny from The Lego Moviehas a cracked chin strap because the original late 70s helmet design was notorious for breaking. They thickened the strap on subsequent designs. Mine is going to be the original design – sans crack.
I took careful measurements of one of the helmets I have from my childhood Lego sets. The helmet is essentially 1:1 tall and wide. I scaled that up to a size that would look proportionally correct on my head.
Step 1: Supplies
Plastic Mixing bowl with 10" diameter
12" Cardboard concrete foundation form – I had to cut and reduce the diameter to 10" for my mold.
Smooth-on 300 resin casting kit
Bondo automotive body filler
Automotive body spot putty
Rustoleum 2x Primer
Rustoleum 2x Red Paint
Rustoleum 2x Clear Gloss
Sandpaper: 100grit, 250 grit, 800 grit
Rubbing compound and Polishing Compound
EVA floor matts
Step 2: Create Main Cast
First, to create the mold for my resin helmet, I found a plastic mixing bowl that had the correct diameter and curvature. For the cylinder part of the helmet I used a cardboard concrete form from the hardware store. These were measurers carefully and hot glued together. I also added a piece of EVA foam on the inside that will create an indent to mark the open visor area. This creates a quick mold to dump resin into.
After coating the inside of this with mold release I slush cast Smooth-on 300 resin into the mold. After about 6 coats of resin I was able to pop out a white helmet to begin finishing!
You could create a "master" helmet a more conventional way out of clay or Pepakura. I chose this way because it got me a resin master that would be perfectly cylindrical very quickly.
This white resin master was touched up with Bondo to smooth out the surface.
Step 3: Adding Details
The entire helmet was primed with matte auto primer and sanded and filled with spot putty to get the surface smooth.
The little dimples on the side of the helmet were created by drilling 3/4" holes in the side of the helmet. From the inside I glued small 3/4" PVC caps. The edges were smoothed with Bondo.
The rim around the visor area was also smoothed out with Bondo.
Step 4: Paint
The visor area was cut out of the helmet with a Dremel.
The entire helmet was again primed, and painted with Rustoleum 2X Red.
Step 5: Interior Liner
I wanted to create a "finished" look to the inside with a sort of liner. The product I worked with was EVA foam floor matt. The top dome area was covered with a disk of the foam by heating it with a Heat Gun and form it into a bowl to create the form.
Step 6: Finished
The final helmet turned out quite well. I'm thrilled that the proportions seem very close to the actual helmet. It's "wearable" but not for very long. It tends to rotate, because my head is not a cylinder. The yellow face visor is a Photoshop mockup. I plan on creating a removable yellow faceplate.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.