Step 1: Plan Your Robot
Here are the list of materials you will need for the elephant:
Wood or cardboard: 40cm (width) x 20 cm (height) X 0.5cm (thickness)
2 Servo motors
3 Popsicle sticks
Wires of various thickness
1 photo resistor
1 reed switch
Step 2: Building the Body
• Press-fit all the side pieces together, if you do not have the indicated thickness of wood or cardboard, you can reinforce the connections using a hot glue gun.
• The top and bottom pieces will be attached using magnets to allow easy attachment and removal.
• Glue magnets both to top and sides of the pieces according to where the top and sides will attach. Repeat for the bottom piece.
• Glue 3 popsicle sticks on the third slot within the body, this is where the servos will be attached.
• Cut out felt based on this template. Glue the felt onto the wood body that you just created
• Trim the felt on the top and bottom of the box
Step 3: Creating the Ears, Nose, Tail, Eyes, Cheeks
Nose - cut out 2 nose pieces using felt, sew the sides together but leave both ends open
Tail - cut out 2 tail pieces using felt, sew the sides together but leave both ends open
Eyes - cut out 2 eye pieces using felt, glue the eyes onto the body
Eyes - cut out 2 cheek pieces using felt, glue the cheeks onto the body
Step 4: Interaction I - Tongue Pressure Sensor
• Tear out two pieces of tape, place the conductive part of the wire on each tape, place the four layers of velostat between the two pieces, and tape the piece together. (More information is available here on how to make a sticky tape pressure sensor)
• Cut out two tongue shapes out of red felt; glue the edge of the two pieces together so the felt forms a pocket.
• Place the pressure sensor you just made inside the "tongue" enclosure
Use this code here in Arduino to test the output of the pressure sensor. (To be completed)
Step 5: Interaction I - Speaker Output
Step 6: Interaction II - Capactive Sensor
• Solder a piece of wire onto the copper
• Attach the sensor to the Arduino as pictured. Here is the documentation on capacitive sensors in Arduino playground
Step 7: Interaction II - LEDs / Eyes
Step 8: Interaction II - Servo Motor / Ears