Introduction: GORM Ikea Coffee Table
After seeing randofo's GORM bench / bookshelf project I thought a coffee table would be quite possible and look pretty good with a few slight modifications. I had recently assembled a GORM bookshelf so I thought a GORM coffee table would watch nicely and at a very reasonable price.
Step 1: Bill of Materials
Go to IKEA and get the following.
1) 2 sets of GORM posts. Select the 43 1/3 length. (4 posts total)
2) 4 GORM shelfs. Select the 19 5/8 width (4 total). You can select any 4 GORM shelves for this project, but this size worked well for my needs. Make sure they all are the same size.
3) Optonal: 2 Behandla containers of paint (12 oz) each. You may only need one, depending on how big or small your shelves and how many coats you desire.
4) Optional: 2 pieces of 1/4 inch plexi glass at 19 1/2 by 12 1/8 inches.
* The tools needed for this project are a handsaw or table saw, sandpaper, paint, and a wrench. Thats it.
Step 2: Cuts and Prep Work
1) Take 3 of the Gorm posts and cut 6 pieces each to a height of 17 3/4 inches. This allows for the 1/4 inch plexi-glass to fit pretty flush with with some felt pieces underneath so the glass isn't sitting directly on top of the wood. If you don't plan to use a glass top, adjust the height accordingly down to 17 1/2.
2) Sand all the posts after cutting looking for jagged edges. Sand shelves too if you notice any jagged or rough areas.
Step 3: Assembly
Assemble the posts and shelves with the IKEA supplied wood screws. Paint all surfaces if so desired. I recommend two coats using the Black IKEA Behandla glazing paint.
Step 4: Adding Glass Top
Add the pre cut pieces of plex-glass if using this option. Try and use some small felt pieces underneath the glass.
Step 5: Enjoy
Place your new coffee table as needed. I've attached a photo of our painted GORM bookshelf that now matches the coffee table. I may be adding an end table too in the near future.