Please vote "The Game Shelf" for the "Hurricane Lasers Contest". If I win, I would be able to burn designs and patterns onto the wood for a more custom look.
Step 1: Plans
The hole on the side is measured for Xbox 360 Slim. For other stand up consoles (Wii, PlayStation 3, etc.) make the necessary changes. The console should fit snugly in the hole with the face flushed to the side of the shelf.
Step 2: Assembly
Screws- 1 1/2 inch
Wood stain- Optional
1. Once the pieces are cut out stain as desired. Then let dry.
2. The smallest pieces are the braces. The first shelf should be flushed with the bottom of the hole. The brace needs to be screwed under the hole with the thickness of the shelf in between. Draw lines where the shelf is going to be. Use it as a guide for the braces.
3. The top off the second shelf is 9 inches from the bottom of the first shelf not including the braces. The same is for the third shelf.
4. After the braces are screwed in, glue the three shelves and clamp them together until they dry. Once the glue is dry insert the screws through the bottom of the brace.
5. Glue and screw the top to...well... the top. Just like the shelves, except, it will stick out on all sides of the shelf. This will stick out 1/2 inch from the back of the shelf.
6. The 3" x 24" will be glued under the top to give the whole shelf a country look.
Step 3: Finishing
When finished, sand down the whole thing. If you have a wood burner or a felt tip pen, put the name and date. Wipe clean and apply the finish. Congratulations! Its finished.
To install, find were you want it to stand. Locate the beams in the wall and screw the shelf through the strips. If you don't screw it, the shelf will tip and there goes the console.
Enjoy using it.