At the end of the day I was always checking the overhead garage door on my house to make sure it was closed. I decided to install a flashing LED light that would let me know when it was open. This has saved me many trips down the steps from upstairs to check the garage door before going to bed at night.
Step 1: Tools and Materials
- Blinking red LED from Radio Shack.
- SPDT Switch with 3/4" Roller Lever from Radio Shack.
- Miscellaneous DC Wall transformer.
- A resistor for the LED.
- A piece of scrap aluminum.
- Miscellaneous wood screws and machine screws as needed.
- Miscellaneous two conductor light gauge wire.
The tools I used on the project were as follows:
- Cordless drill
- Hacksaw to cut aluminum material for brackets
NOTE: If you plan on using any tool for a project please make sure you are familiar with the tool and all of the dangers associated with it. If you are not familiar with a tool then you should ask someone who is to show you the proper way to use it. A lot of communities have classes at local colleges on the proper use of tools and machinery. There are also local woodworking clubs that offer classes at very reasonable rates for beginners. I highly recommend using these resources for your safety and for the most efficient use of the tool.
Always wear eye and hearing protection.
Always work safe with the proper safety equipment and guards on your tools.