My grand-ma would make this soup and fill the home with aroma of cinnamon and spices.
Happy to share and hope you enjoy this recipe.
Can be enjoyed with bread, steamed rice or just a bowl of it by itself.
1 cup raw garbanzo (wash and soak for 6 hours minimum - garbanzo will double in size,
alternative is to use canned garbanzo and would not need to soak for 6 hours)
2 medium potatoes peeled and cut (soak in water after cutting to avoid browning)
1.5 cups vegetable/chicken stock or water
1 table spoon clarified butter or olive oil
pinch of asafoetida
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 or 2 bayleaves
1 cinnamon stick (or powder)
1 medium onion chopped
salt to taste
1 tablespoon grated ginger root
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 medium tomato cut
1 green chili chopped
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
black pepper to taste
handful of chopped cilantro
Lemon juice to taste
* Drain the garbanzo water and give it a fresh rinse.
* Heat oil on medium heat in pressure cooker.
* When the oil is hot add asafoetida, cumin seeds, cloves, bayleaf and cinnamon stick. Stir in for one second.
* Add chopped onions, salt and cook till onions are transparent.
* Add garlic and ginger and cook for one minute
*Add chopped tomatoes, green chilies, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and cook for 2 mins
* Add cut potatoes, garbanzo beans and water (or stock).
* Close the pressure and cook on medium heat for 30mins (3 whistle).
* Once all the pressure escape open and add garam masala, pepper powder. Should taste for how spicy it is before adding these two ingredients.
* Add lemon juice to taste.
* Garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy!!
If using pot to cook then use the canned garbanzo. Drain and wash the garbanzo. Canned garbanzo cooks faster. Cook in pot covered until the garbanzo and potatoes are soft.