The background to this project is that my daughter was having her home remodelled and the ‘old’ (about 10 years old) UPVC doors and windows were to be discarded. They could have perhaps been sold on eBay but as they would be collection only, this would limit the market somewhat. The builders where quite happy to put them all in the waste skip. I was toying with the idea of building a garden room to use as my stained glass workshop. My present workshop was the house garage and the natural light is quite poor for my hobby. Also everything gets covered in wood dust whenever I do a carpentry project. These double glazed units seemed ideal as the basis of a light and airy workshop/garden room.
Step 1: Planning
Obviously the Legacy door and window frames would dictate the size and format of the finished building and would need to be designed around regarding their size and format.
I used Visio as a scale design tool. I input all the existing UPVC frame sizes and then played about with possible variations. I wanted to abut the building onto an existing party wall and not protrude too far into the garden. As there was an existing path (although not very good!) I took this as the extremity of the building width. I roughly judged the length to fit in with an existing garden shed and another old path 90degrees to the first one. Unfortunately I couldn’t make the height as low I would have liked as the door frames are full size suited to a main dwelling. This meant the base would need to be of minimal depth and the roof pitch also kept to the minimal. I had hoped for a greenhouse style pitched roof but this would result in the final building being way too tall. I made some wooden scale models once I had decided the final format to show my neighbours so that they could have some input if they wanted to.
Some other Structural considerations were that I didn’t want the building to overhang my neighbours wall or to lean against it or hang on it. Garden walls aren’t particularly strong structurally and ours was over 100 years old. I also wanted to be able to gather rainwater from it to use in my veg garden. After weeks of planning and deliberation I came up with the offset ridge design. Not as easy to build as first envisaged but it ticked all the boxes.