Another project on the go !
My parents has a small garden in their house.
Most of the time we spend there is pretty quite , all you hear are birds and the " sound of silence ".
I wanna change it !
I decided to build from Plexiglas ( as usual ) a pair of speakers , supported with the LEPAI amplifier.
Hope you enjoy
Step 1: Shopping List
Set of component speakers - JBL CS 5C 120Watt
Plexiglas - a sheet of 80X80 + a small 30X80 Black Plexiglas
Aluminum Angles - comes in 3M length
Crossovers- i ordered 5 already ( for future projects )
45M of 2x1.5 wires for speakers ( approx 30$ )
Bolts and Nuts ( 60 or so )
Silicon ( Clear + Black )
Drill +Drill kit
Saw + Special blade for Plexiglas
Dremel Tool + Dremel Kit
Moreover i decided to take it a step further and mod ( improve ) the Lepai amplifier .
I order from eBay a few Capacitors and a few induction coils .
All the parts i`m replacing according to recommendations of www.diyaudio.com members ( they provide lots of manuals )
Step 2: First Step - Cutting the Plexiglas
You need to make 2 pieces of this Plexiglas
Do see that i drilled with a driller a hole the size of the blade of the saw , and only then you can start drilling
Step 3: Finished Cutting the Front Panel
Step 4: Use Dremel Tool to Smooth Internal Edges
Step 5: Cut Rear Part
Step 6: Cut the Sides
Step 7: Use Sanding Paper to Smooth the Edges
Take some sanding paper and smooth the edges
I also smoothed the edges using the Dremel tool
Step 8: Create Bottom Angles
Step 9: Finished Cutting the Plexiglas !
Step 10: With All the Equipment
Step 11: Cutting the Aluminum Angles
Step 12: Aluminum Angles Ready
Step 13: Drill Holes in the Aluminum Angles
Step 14: Checking the Alignment of the Angles With the Plexiglas
Step 15: Start Assembling the Speakers
Step 16: More Assembling
Step 17: Insert Woofer
Step 18: Insert Tweeter
Step 19: Create Additional Hole for the Wiring of the TWEETER
After you finish with the cutting you can sand it with the DREMEL Tool also
Step 20: Tweeter Ready
Step 21: Create Bottom Enclosure for the Speaker Using Angles
drilled hole in each of them ( measured the distance before the drill ) , and up we go
Step 22: Coffeeeee Break !@
Step 23: Allocating the Crossover
Step 24: Soldering Time!!
I just love soldering ! , it`s just fun !
The crossovers purpose is to receive from the AMP the output , take it , split it to High and Low frequencies and send it to the proper unit
( e.g Tweeter - High tones or Woofer - Lower tones. )
Step 25: Soldering Finished for Tweeter
Step 26: Soldering Finished for Woofer
Step 27: Soldering Finished for Input As Well
Step 28: Before Removing Nylon , Checking the Sound
the sound is OK for now
Step 29: Removing the Protective Nylon!
Step 30: Still Removing the Nylon
Step 31: Still Removing the Nylon #2
Step 32: Spacers for Crossover
Place it between the crossover and the Plexi
Step 33: Solder Ending to the Speaker Wires to Connect to the Speakers
Step 34: Black Silicon for Internal Woofer
this could damage the Acoustics ,and the sound in general .
Soooooooo , i took BLACK silicon , and made sure that it is 99% sealed
Step 35: Closing the Cover + Sealing It
Step 36: Add Small Reflex-Port
Reflex-port uses to increase the efficiency of the system at low frequencies
Step 37: Still Reflex Port
Step 38: Add a Small Rubber Around the Hole
Step 39: Till We Mount Them - They Are Ready!
The sound is absolutely awesome
The bass is great , and all this after a 20M (2x1.5 ) cable for each unit!
Step 40: The Lepai Amp Before the Upgrade !
Step 41: Modding the Lepai Amp
It`s cheap , and gives you a great value for your money
It cost between 15-20$ , and the sound is great , but not awesome!
So , you guessed it , i had to modify it , according to http://diyaudio.com website , i found a few forums with a lot of discussion on how and what to replace in order to say " Wow that`s a lot for 20$ "
I can actually say , that after replacing a few Capacitors , coils the sound has improved by 30% at least!
The bass is more responsive , and the power that it produces is much higher
Beneath you can see the old ( RED ) Output capacitors - there Value is :
63V .47uf +80/-20%
I have changed them to a : 250V .47uf 5% capacitors - way better!
Also i have replaced the Big capacitor .- which made the biggest improvement for the sound
The original Value is : 16V 3300uf 20%
I have changed it to :25VDC 4700uF !
Step 42: Prepare Plexiglas Case for Amp
Because of the new capacitors are higher, I would have to raise the lid. Eventually the situation was beneficial to the functioning of the amplifier, since now there are more ventilation for the electronic circuits
Step 43: The Amp
Step 44: Angles for Speakers
Step 45: Wire the Speakers
I started to wire the wires between the deck , and made sure that nothing is too tight, and I connected it to the speakers
Step 46: Completed!
Excellent sound, the sound is very clean, very balanced, and most importantly I am happy Comments are welcome :)