This is my second instructable which is actually a modified version of "versatile on/off timer"(My first instructable)
with some added functionalities such as
1) A digital real time clock display
2) Active Window setting
3) Loading of default values when idle after power on
This time I am calling it a "Sprinkler Controller" as it is used to control the sprinklers in the personal garden.
** Please read my first instructable "Arduino Controlled Versatile Timer/controller" before reading this one
The timer operates in 2 modes
1) ON -- This is the time for which the relay will be in ON state.
2) OFF -- This is the time for which the relay will be in OFF state
The relay always cycles as following sequence ON --> OFF --> ON --> OFF --> ON --> . . . . . Indefinitely
Now let's talk about the features which are newly added ..
- A digital clock-- has been added which continuously displays current time in left hand upper corner of display.
One can also set the clock time when programming the timer. This is useful when the internal battery CR2032 runs out of juice and you replace it with other one.
- Active window-- This is the span of time in which the gadget actually switches the water pump on/off as per the settings done by the user. Window start time : can be set from 0 to 24 in interval of 1 , Window end time: Can be set from 0 to 24 in the interval of 1
For e.g. If I set the different timer settings(Through encoder) as follows
ON period = 2 minutes and 30 seconds
OFF period = 10 Minutes
Window Start(In hours) = 17
Window End(In hours) = 20
Then the gadget will wake up at 5pm and switch ON for 2Min and 30 seconds then switch off for 10 minutes, then again switches on for 2Min 30 Seconds, then again switch off for 10 minutes till the clock reaches 20 i.e. 8pm. Now it will again wake up next day at 5 pm and this repeats forever...
- Loading defaults -- When the device is connected to power and switched ON for the first time(Or resumed after a mains power failure) and nobody attempts to program it within 5 minutes.. it loads Default ON, OFF and WINDOW values as 5 Min,s 10 Mins and 7am to 9 am respectively.. You can change theDEFAULT VALUES as per your requirement in the Arduino code attached before loading it onto ATmega 328
Apart from these additions, other things are as follows
The ON time can be set from 0 - 59 minutes and 0 - 59 seconds,
the OFF time can be set from 0 - 59 minutes and 0 - 59 seconds
Window time from 0 to 24 Hrs
The SSD HV terminals to be connected in series with water pump and AC voltage supply... meaning a Live wire going to water pump needs to be cut in between and these two ends of wire needs to be connected to the screw terminals output fitted below the box.
Step 1: Bill of Material
- List of tools/materials needed.
Acrylic sheets(3mm width) -- 2 RED , 1 White
Drilling machine with 2 m, 6mm, 10mm bits
Sand papers (One fine and one medium grit) -1
A metal file
25W soldering iron and soldering wire
Glue gun and sticks
- Components needed for making the circuit
DS3231 IIC precision RTC module with battery CR2032 -1
IC Atmega328p - 1
IC LM7805 (voltage regulator) - 1
IC Base 28 pin - 1
Diodes 1N4001 - 2
Diode 1N4148 - 1
Transistors BC548B - 2
Resistors 10k, 2.2k 1/4w - 1 each
Caps 1000/35, 470/25 - 1 each
Ceramic disks 22pf - 2
Ceramic disk 0.1uf - 1
Crystal 16MHz - 1
Rotary encoder (with integral switch) - 1
5 pin PCB connector male & female - 1
40 Pin breakaway header(male) - 1
SSR rated @ 240V/30A AC - 1
16x2 LCD module(Oriole) - 1
Transformer 9-0-9/750 mA - 1
Copper clad 4x4 inches - 1
A push switch(momentary one) - 1
A fuse holder - 1
Fuse rated @ 230v/1A - 1
Screw terminals rated @ 300v / 40A
Step 2: Fitting of Various Parts
Step 3: Product From All Angles
Step 5: Ready to Use
Set your gadget and relax... you don't have to worry about watering your lawn when you are away from your home...
Sincere apologies as I could not upload the video of the working gadget or the photos of the different options on the screen as I did not think of putting it on Instructables earlier... But I I'll try to update this instructable when possible..
Thanks for viewing..