A year ago I found neat solution to mount my Garmin 705 on my racer . This time I've tried to find a budget solution for my crap cyclocross bike, as I had all the bits and piece available "for free" at work. I've used some alloy pipes, stainless steel screws M5, and I also managed to find some plastic corks in the workshop (wireman using them for something I've asked if I can nick four and they gave me a lot). The rest of the story is pretty much on the pictures. The goal was to make "shed engineering" despite the fact that I have an access to lathe or can have theoretically an access CNC. Instead of painting (I hate painting aluminium) I've used heat shrink (I developed kinda fetish with heatshrink, love watching it shrinking ;-)). Effect is instant, you don't have to wait for paint to dry. It's scratch resistant. It's easier. Instead of heatshrink, a vinyl sheet will do the job (to match handlebar tape colour for example ;-)). The whole bracket is attached to bottom screws of stem face plate, and Is very stiff.
Tools/Materials: Drill/drill bits, file, scissors, black paint marker, metal saw, knife, heatgun. Alloy pipes 8mm and 25mm, heatshrink, stainless screws 5mm, some plastic pipe 8mm, zipties. Time: about 2h.