I don't get sick often but growing up I was getting Strep throat every year; luckily I haven't had it for a few years. Right now I can almost feel it coming on so I was looking into prevention/home remedies because I'm currently on the Curonian Spit, in Lithuania, which is quite isolated...So for a variety of reasons I came up with this recipe to prevent/cure my Strep Throat paranoia, based on some research.
The basic principle of how these lozenges work come from this video, which suggests that it works just like antibiotics: http://youtu.be/P10JNNvyH-k
...but it's basically "get-better tea" in lozenge form and it's really easy to make.
The recipe makes between 50-60 drops; one should be taken every half-full hour hour, that you're awake, until you feel better.
Ingredients (+ why they work):
- 4tbsp honey (coats the throat, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory)
- 1/2c sugar (hardens into a solid)
- 1tsp cayenne powder(brings blood to surfaces which it touches, boosts circulation, high source of Vitamin A + C, has the complete B complexes, AND is very rich in organic calcium and potassium...among other things)
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or grated (stimulates the immune system, reduces pain, antibiotic as well as being anti-fungal/viral/parasitic...etc.)
- 1tsp ginger , finely chopped or grated (reduces inflammation and antiviral are the uses we'll concentrate on for this recipe)
- a pinch of salt (flavor and is less irritating to the mucous membranes in the mouth)
- zest from your favorite citrus (antibacterial, antifungal, aromatic, boosts metabolism)
* if you want/need to substitute any of the active ingredients, look here and find the flavor which is good for what ail's you:Medicinal uses of common herbs/spices from UCLA's website
- A small saucepan w/ lid
- A sharp knife
- A spoon
- A citrus zester/micro-plane or cheese grater with a fine grade
- A non-stick surface
Optional (but useful):