The basic principle of how these lozenges work come from this video, which suggests that it works just like antibiotics: http://youtu.be/P10JNNvyH-k
...but it's basically "get-better tea" in lozenge form and it's really easy to make.
The recipe makes between 50-60 drops; one should be taken every half-full hour hour, that you're awake, until you feel better.
Ingredients (+ why they work):
- 4tbsp honey (coats the throat, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory)
- 1/2c sugar (hardens into a solid)
- 1tsp cayenne powder(brings blood to surfaces which it touches, boosts circulation, high source of Vitamin A + C, has the complete B complexes, AND is very rich in organic calcium and potassium...among other things)
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or grated (stimulates the immune system, reduces pain, antibiotic as well as being anti-fungal/viral/parasitic...etc.)
- 1tsp ginger , finely chopped or grated (reduces inflammation and antiviral are the uses we'll concentrate on for this recipe)
- a pinch of salt (flavor and is less irritating to the mucous membranes in the mouth)
- zest from your favorite citrus (antibacterial, antifungal, aromatic, boosts metabolism)
Medicinal uses of common herbs/spices from UCLA's website
- A small saucepan w/ lid
- A sharp knife
- A spoon
- A citrus zester/micro-plane or cheese grater with a fine grade
- A non-stick surface
Optional (but useful):
- A candy thermometer
Step 1: Make a Sweet and Spicy Danger-sauce.
Step 2: Drop It Like It's Hot.
I didn't have a candy thermometer or ice so I went and got some snow and poured water in the middle of it. In the second picture you can see some little hard balls in my snowater.
For more non-thermometer ways of telling what stage your candy is at check this out: http://www.ehow.com/how_7778842_tell-temperature-candy-thermometer.html
Once it's ready remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
Step 3: Flavor Bomb
The reason you add it now, and not earlier, is because you don't want to destroy/modify the acting compounds in the ginger, garlic, and citrus zest.
Step 4: Pop Off and Go Loco!
Allow them to cool for 30 minutes and you should have brittle lozenges which sooth your throat and provide a constant stream of ingredients which kill viruses/bacteria/fungi while increasing blood flow and a host of other awesome properties.