Introduction: Generator Air Cleaner Modification for Natural Gas Conversion
I recently purchased a conversion kit to run my gasoline generator on Natural Gas. The conversion went smoothly, and the generator runs great! The only problem I had with the conversion was, the manufacturer of the conversion kit suggested cutting the generator frame to allow clearance for the air filter housing. I did not wish to compromise the generator frame integrity, so I came up with another solution!!
I roughly measured the amount of clearance needed, in this case roughly 3/4 ". I used a hacksaw to cut a "scoop" out of the air cleaner housing, and test-fit the cut. Permanent aluminized duct tape was used to cover the hole, formed to the "scoop" shape. I put a piece of the tape on the inside also, to cover the sticky side, to not stick the air filter to the tape. After placing the gasket and filter material, I reinstalled the modified filter housing. The generator then ran like a dream. No frame cutting necessary!!!