Get Zinc, Carbon Electrodes and Manganese Dioxide From a Lantern Battery





Introduction: Get Zinc, Carbon Electrodes and Manganese Dioxide From a Lantern Battery

About: NurdRage is a dedicate group of science nerds trying to further amateur science with direct how-to instructions in video format. We saw what was already online and we thought "we could do better".....

We get Zinc, Carbon Electrodes and Manganese dioxide from a lantern battery.

We'll be using all of these components in upcoming videos.

Zinc is a good metal for battery experiments.

Carbon electrodes are good for electrolysis.

Manganese dioxide will be used for "elephant toothpaste" experiments and similar hydrogen peroxide experiments.

The upcoming videos will be placed here on instructables and at our channel at



    • Water Contest

      Water Contest
    • Clocks Contest

      Clocks Contest
    • Creative Misuse Contest

      Creative Misuse Contest

    15 Discussions

    Want to make thermite from battery manganese dioxide? It needs to be purified first, but I have a video describing that process: Enjoy and stay safe!

    actually you can check the IEC Name on the battery before you open it.

    can refer for the IEC Name. (e.g. for AAA is R03 & Lantern 6 Volt Spring Top is 4R25)

    is the Zinc elemental? If so any ideas on how to turn it into powder? I need Zn powder and this was my best bet

    guys what if i opened a battery and one of my gloves broke.. i got in contact with it but i washed like as soon as i noticed...wich was like a 3 mins exposure.. -_- is there any danger on being poisoned?

    Really? MnO2 is not at all water soluble. MSDS info is inconsistent, but at least one says skin contact isn't expected to be a problem:

    I work with Manganese Dioxide and other oxides daily Making ceramics. Manganese is one of the more toxic ones. And it seems to be hard to wash off of my skin when, I do get it on myself. And if you look at the top of the MSDS you posted in bold it talks about ingestion causing nervous system problems. So it is easy to ingest because it is hard to wash off of hands. I was told by several chemists to be careful with manganese dioxide because of how little is needed to cause nervous system damage. This is because it is a heavy metal and tends to build up in tissue.

    The water solubility of a compound does not denote skin solubility of a compound. Skin solubility and water solubility are two separate things. The compound can react with the chemicals that make up skin that are not present in pure water.

    Also a side note the manganese dioxide glazes I use in ceramics dissolve brushes made form hair.

    I wouldn't count on the Manganese Dioxide being very pure. It is usually mixed with carbon to help decrease internal resistance of the cell. This won't hurt many experiments that ask for MnO2, but there are a couple where the carbon could have disasterous effects (I'm thinking Oxygen production from certain solid oxidizers; no longer a common method, but still found in some books.)

    I heard that you could get the manganese dioxide from regular AA or AAA batteries. Is it true?

    I just did this and is there anyway to remove the stickiness of the carbon rods? I scrubbed and scrubbed them but they are still very sticky.

    If the battery is an alkaline, would the products/components appear the same?

    carbon rod will be the same. Zinc will be corroded. Manganese dioxide will be partially converted to manganese (III) oxide or Mn2O3. And the electrolyte will be mixed in with more zinc chloride and zinc ammonium chloride complexes.

    I used zinc from wasted batteries to cover iron pieces using a car battery charger. I put the pieces of zinc in hydrochloric acid and then impregnated a plastic brush with the resulting zinc chloride, connected the metal part of the brush to the positive charger pole and the negative to the piece to be coated. After several passes was formed a layer of zinc on iron.

    The carbon electrodes where used for my BTW, that device also functions as a mini-forge or blowtorch.