Step 3: Check-In Desk
Now your at the desk, you look like a business man and you act like a business man, now you just have to seal the deal.
• When you walk up to the desk give the lady your tickets and swiftly put your bag on the conveyor belt, this gives her time to check the tickets and see that their economy/business class.
• Look at the tickets and pretend to suddenly realize you need to ask for an upgrade (don't do this dramatically - keep calm)
• Tell her that the travel organizer in your company made a mistake and accidentally bought economy instead of 1st class, then go on to say that you have a meeting the at the other end an hour after the plane lands and you really need to work on the presentation
(note that you haven't actually asked for an upgrade yet, if you tell the story after asking then it will seem like an excuse)
• Whilst telling the story act desperate but not dramatic like you really need it but make it look like you are trying to keep calm.
• Now say something like "please i really need to work on this, are there any seats available up front"
The lady know's what you mean by "up front" but you didn't have the un-needed shock value of first class
• The lady will probably tap away at her keyboard and then say yes or no
YES = Thank her profusely, and then leave to board the plane in 1st class
NO = Now act stressed out, and ask if she's sure, lower your voice and pretty much beg and say something like "please if i don't finish this i'm going to loose my job"
now unless this woman is the biggest b**** on the planet she will give you an upgrade, there is nearly always free seats in 1st class.
So if she says no again then say " ok ok well how about business, there's gotta be seats there right?"
Hopefully there will be and she'll upgrade you, if not then pretend to calm your self down and say youll wait until later, ask her to contact you if anything comes available, take your tickets, and bag and go and wait somewhere she can see you, get your laptop or papers out and pretend to work hard whilst acting stressed (e.g. rub head, keep looking over at her)
now when the last check in call comes out go and talk to her looking expectant. Now once everybody has checked in she knows nobody is going to use those seats she'll either upgrade you or apologize and say no
No : go and cry in the toilets, spend the entire flight thinking about what went wrong and how you can correct it on the return journey, and wiping the baby-sick off your suit...
Yes : Act like she saved your life then shout