There are a few ways to find your way around in the game. You can just wander around, keep track of your coordinates, craft up a boat, or even zoom around in a Minecart. Check out this collection of ways to find your way around in Minecraft.
Step 1: Coordinates
Coordinates are very handy for finding your way around assuming you remember the coordinates of where you were so you can find your way back later.
To see your coordinates, you need to pull up the Debug screen which is F3 on the computer version. The Debug screen gives you a lot of information, but we are going to concentrate on the coordinate related points. The points are based on an origin point.
What you are going to use from the Debug Screen:
- X - Coordinate : shows how far East (positive number) or West (negative number) you are
- Z - Coordinate : shows how far South (positive number) or North (negative number) you are
- Y - Coordinate : shows how above or below Sea Level (Level 63) you are (this does not go negative)
Direction - You can tell what direction you are facing by looking at the f: number
- 0 = South
- 1 = West
- 2 = North
- 3 = East
Biome - the b: tells you which Biome you are in; the screenshot shows I am in "Plains"
- I find it most handy to record the X and Z of certain locations you want to keep in mind (home, lava pool, jungle, Mooshroom Biome, etc)
- If you are able to walk exactly straight in one direction, only the X or Z coordinates will change, this is very difficult and most likely you they will both change as you go