Introduction: Ghost Pepper Popcorn:
What you will need:
- Dried Ghost Pepper
- Popcorn Kernels
- Peanut Oil
- Large Stock Pot or Popcorn Popping Pan
- Oil Splatter Screen
Step 1: Ghost Peppers
Obtain dried ghost peppers from one of numerous vendors online, or grow your own and have an endless supply ; )
Step 2: Gather Your Ingredients and Tools
- Stock Pot: I like to use a stainless type.
- Oil Screen: Large enough to cover your pot.
- Peanut Oil: Enough to cover the bottom of your pot.
- Popcorn: Any type will do. I have used red, white, yellow, and blue. Again you need enough to cover the bottom of your pot.
- Dried Ghost Peppers: One to two peppers depending on how hot you want the batch.
Step 3: Fry Your Ghost Peppers in the Peanut Oil
This is where you set the spicy level of your popcorn. The more peppers you use will determine how hot the final product will be. Oil from the peppers is infused into the peanut oil and then transferred to the popcorn.
Heat the oil and peppers on Med-High, your burner setting might be different. You want the oil hot but not smoking. Peanut oil has a smoke point of 450 deg. F
Once the skin becomes brown and crispy remove the skins and seeds from the oil. At first I didn't do this step and would leave the peppers in with the popcorn, but one time accidentally eating a piece of pepper made me vow not to make that mistake again.
Step 4: Pop That Popcorn
Pour your popcorn into the heated pepper infused oil and cover with the oil screen. It helps if you gently shake the pot to coat oil over the kernels. When popcorn popping begins to slow down remove pot from heat and turn off burner.
Step 5: Enjoy
Add a little salt, butter, paprika, or any other seasonings you love and enjoy!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.