This is a non-alchoholic drink suitable for all audiences. Rated PG - Pretty Good. Yum!
See the classic version here.
Step 1: Break Into the Lab...
- Seltzer or plain carbonated water. You may be lucky and have one of those bar drink soda chargers which use the CO2 cartridges and pressurize the dispenser. Search for the instructables that show you how to charge your own soda water.
- milk, try not to use skim or lowfat as it does not give the desired result.
- Food coloring in assorted colors.
- Chocolate syrup - Made in Brooklyn, New York, Fox's U-Bet syrup is the only one you should use (not an endorsement of any kind but a statement of fact) OK, you may get away with lesser brands.
- Optional vanilla or strawberry flavored syrup.
- Assorted glassware from the lab. Beakers, flasks, test tubes, or measuring vials.
CAUTION: make sure these are food-safe and have not come into contact with any other chemicals.
Step 2: Pick Your Poison...
Decant your syrups into various test tubes or flasks. Vanilla syrup is clear so you can color it any way you want.
Decant your milk into a beaker or flask. You can add a few drops of food coloring before you add the milk or after. You can stir or not stir the milk to give it that cool streaky color. It can be colored from Neon green to blood-curdling red...
Step 3: Mix Your Potion...
Decant a good tablespoon or two worth of syrup in the drinking flask.
Decant a third of the volume of the drink container with the milk.
It doesn't matter if you add the syrup first or milk first.
Step 4: The Exciting Part...
Stir quicky with a glass rod or just swill the flask around so that you have a nice even flavored drink on the bottom with a nice white foamy head on top but not too much to dissipate all the gas or carbonation in the drink.
Drink immediately as the foamy head is the most interesting part of the drink. But not too fast or you may need to burp. You should not use a straw to drink this as the "milk moustache" is de rigeur.
CAUTION: This is similar to the volcano science fair project. Lava may spill depending on how much liquids are reacted.
I didn't have any dry ice to add to any of the liquids to make it smoke and fog. You can also throw in some gummy candies of insects or a candy eyeball for an extra treat. Don't choke on them when you drink though!
Make sure to experiment with the different potions and make more than one. Enjoy with a savory snack like a pretzel or macabre finger food!