I needed big cartoonish shoes for a costume so I went to several party stores and costume shops looking for clown shoes. Everything I found was either more than I wanted to spend or looked awful, so I decided to make my own entirely from things I had at home and found in the trash.
Step 1: What you'll need
- Foam insulation – I found some in the trash. Since you won’t need very much, you should have no trouble finding it discarded from renovation projects or construction sites. You could also buy it from a hardware store.
- Large t-shirt or fabric – I used some of the same free volunteer shirts I previously used for Superman costumes
- Newspaper or other scrap paper – raid your recycle bin
- Rope – we had some leftover from a camping trip
- White glue
- Hot glue gun
- Paint and brush (or craft foam)
- Marker or pen
- Sharp knife and scissors
- Large pair of shoes (optional but helpful)
Step 2: Cutting and Shaping the Foam
Grab the largest pair of shoes you can find. In my case it was my partner’s size 13 work boots. Trace the outline of the shoes or boots onto the foam. If you don’t have any big shoes handy, you could just trace your feet.
Using the shoe outlines as a guide, draw the shape of your clown shoes around them.
Carefully cut along both lines. You should be able to fit your shoes inside the cut foam shapes, if not, trim it until it works.
Trace the front half of both foam pieces onto another sheet of foam. Cut them out to make the tops of your giant shoes.
Generously apply white glue to stick the foam pieces together. Put something heavy on top of them and leave them to dry.
When the glue is dry, use a sharp knife to carve the foam into the correct shape. Don’t worry if it is not perfectly smooth, as most of the shoe will soon be covered with papier maché and fabric.