A fun and easy way to make a soft and machine washable bed for your best friend (I made one for my Dogs, but there isn't any reason the same principle couldn't be applied to make a bed for a very small dog or cat). Materials are all easily found, very basic sewing skills required, faster and easier if done with a sewing machine but can be done by hand!
NB: this is my first instructable, so if you think I missed anything or need to change something, please let me know!
Step 1: Source and Gather Materials!
Things you will need: most of these can be recycled, upcycled or found in and around your home, otherwise you will most likely be able to source them from a local charity store or second hand shop or the local craft store.
- Mattress protector or pillow case (old and smelly is great as it is likely to be familiar and encourage your pet to sit/sleep on it)
- Pillow or Hobby Stuffing (how much you will need depends on the size bed)
- Fabric to Cover the bed (Polar Fleece for something warm and soft for the gentle pets, or a canvas/drill for the tougher types, or an old blanket, doona/quilt cover)
- Thread, any colour you like to match your fabric, go for an upholstery thread if you can as its a bit stronger.
- Scissors, sharp enough to cut the fabric doubled over.
- Soft Sewing tape measure and or Ruler.
- Pen or Pencil or Tailors Chalk for marking.
- Sewing Pins to secure your fabric.
- Patience and a little creativity.