Introduction: Glass Breaking
Instruction on how to blow the bottom out of most glass bottles.
Step 1: Getting the Items...
First and foremost. Do not attempt this unless you fully understand the risks and dangers behind it. It is not as easy as it looks. Glass can break and shatter if hit wrong of getting mad and throwing it cutting your hands or wrists. The force you hit the glass with, applied to the wrong part of your hand, can break it. Make sure you have band aids nearby and gauze. I personally would recommend this only to adults, being the higher strength they can produce, and nothing against the children, but they assume responsibility a lot quicker than younger folks.
Items needed for this project....
1. A Glass Bottle
3. The cap to the glass bottle
4. Any safety precautions you wish.
Step 2: Filling the Bottle
Fill the bottle with water until right about the neck area. Any higher than that and it becomes extremely difficult to break. Tighten the cap on the bottle. You don't have to over tighten it or wrench it out or anything, but tight enough to stay.
Step 3: The Destructing of the Bottle
Remember: be careful. Make sure you are safe with this. Really, my brother broke the glass wrong and seriously injured his hand.
To break the bottle there are a few things you must do.
1. Hold it firmly towards the neck/ or as far away from the bottom as possible.
2. Make sure the outside of the bottle is completely dry and allows very little or no slippage.
3. When you hit the bottle, use the very center of your palm. If you use the ball of your palm you will most likely bruise it. Badly. The center of your palm is your best bet.
4. Also, you have to hit this with quite a bit of force to just blow the bottom out. Make sure you follow through. You can't pull back at the last second or it won't work.
With a little practice or luck you can break it. A tip if you don't want to hurt your hand...wrap a thin rag around your hand to protect it. If you don't get it right away but you are hearing a sharp noise, thats a good sign.
Remember though.... be very careful. Look at the last picture. That is what happens when glass breaks different then what you expect. That is also why I recommend gripping up towards the neck like I showed you. Glass has its weak points and it might break and cut you. Use caution.
Step 4: Cleaning
After you have successfully broken the bottom, clean up the glass and if indoors clean up the water. If you had an accident and cut yourself, seek medical attention from a parent or friend who knows what they are doing. Hopefully you had fun and now you have a trick to show your friends. Maybe even make a little money off of them.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.