Introduction: Glone - the Glove Phone
The idea was initially to build an "inspector gadget" phone, i.e. one that can make calls using the thumb and pinkie. This then expanded to include the ability to text using one hand.
The buttons 0-9, call and end call were soldered and the wires routed to the fingers which then had push buttons positioned (3 on each finger), so that they could be operated by the thumb. The speaker and mic are added to the base of the thumb and the tip of the pinkie.
The phone board and the battery were mounted to the back of the glove
Finally the screen was attached with copper wire to the glove so that it stands up and can be moved around.
In all, I spent about 50GBP on materials (including the phone). It could probably done cheaper if you have these bits lying around.
You'll need a basic knowledge of soldering and plenty of patience.
Step 1: Dissasembling the Phone
I used a Samsung x640 as it was old and therefore easy to get hold of a cheap one, plus it was a clamshell layout, so the screen could be easily separated from the rest of the phone.
Once separated the keypad was cut up. I wouldn't be trying to move the D-pad or the # and * keys, so they remained on the phone board. The rest had 2 wires soldered to their contacts.
The Samsung was rather odd with how it shared earths, so each connection was tested before soldering to a small push to make button.
The battery was also soldered in place. This may have been a little dangerous to do in hindsight, as the phone always had power during the soldering process, but I believed it necessary so that I could simply double check the connections as I made them.
Step 2: Altering the Glove
The glove was an army surplus leather glove.
The thumb was cut off to allow better movement of the thumb. The fingers were cut off, then a portion of the finger between the first and second knuckle was taken, wrapped in copper wire (to reinforce), and then reattached using leather cord.
Step 3: Adding the Phone to the Glove
The board was added to the glove by running small bolts up through the leather to match up with the screw holes on the phone circuit board.
The battery was attached by wrapping it in copper wire and threading the wire through the glove leather.
The screen was wrapped in copper wire and then grouped at the base to form a tripod. This was then threaded into the top of the battery.
The buttons were added to the top of the finger sections.
The microphone and speaker were re-soldered to be on long wires, and then attached to the base of the thumb and the end of the pinkie.
Step 4: The Finished Product
Its looks need to be improved in the next version but it certainly works. I used heavy gauge wire which has proved unnecessary, and I'll use ribbon cable for the next one I make.
also it is far from waterproof, so it's for novelty purposes only!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.