Introduction: Glow Cube
Super easy afternoon glowing box. All materials available at Home Depot
Step 1: Materials
1. Plexi-glass (thinnest they have size depends on size of box. Minimum is enough to get 5 5"x6" pieces
2. Small pieces of scrap plywood 3/4"
3. Nicer strip of wood. I used 1 1/2" x 1/4" birch.
4. Silicone ( just a small tube)
6. Lamp wire
8. Lamp holder
9. LED color changing party light ( get at Home Depot next to the colored light bulbs it is only $5.)
Step 2: Tools
1. Saw ( a table saw would be preferred)
2. Drill with a 2" hole saw
3. Compound miter
4. Wire strippers
6. Screw driver
Step 3: The Light Bulb
Using the lamp holder, lamp wire, switch, plug and plywood wire as shown above. The wire with the writing goes to the brass colored screw not the silver.
Step 4: The Base
After wiring your bulb holder remove it and using a miter saw cut 45 degree cuts on the 1 1/2" x 1/4" piece to make a base. Next using glue and a brad nailer secure the base
Step 5: The Plexi
Cut the plexi so that one two of the pieces fit inside the other two. For instance if your making a 5"x5" box with 1/8" plexi you need 2 at 5" and 2 at 4 6/8". The height should enough to get above the light bulb for me I did 6". A trick for curing plexi is to put a piece of painters tape over the area you are cutting to minimize splintering.
Step 6: Frosting and Assembly
Using white spray paint frost one side of the plexi. Put all the plexi pieces into place on the box and tape the corners and put a rubber band around the top. Using the silicon put a line up each corner and use for finger to smooth it out. Let it set.
Step 7: Lid
Cut another piece if plexi that fits the lid. Also cut 4 small squares to use as feet on the bottom.
Step 9: Video
If you would like to see a video of it please follow this link.