Glow in the Dark Hair Gel

61,792

165

62

Posted

Introduction: Glow in the Dark Hair Gel

I will show you how to make really cool glow in the dark hair gel.
The steps are easy to follow and the ingredients are easy to obtain.

Step 1: Assemble Ingredients

Things you will need:
Hair Gel
Glo Powder, (I bought mine from glonation on e-bay for a really good price)
Container to mix it in,
Radioactive Sticker
1/2 tsp measuring spoon

Step 2: Make the Gel

Fill the container with about (measurements not even close to accurate) 1/2 cup of gel, next add 1.2 tsp of glo powder, Put lid on container and shake it vigerously,
Charge the gel mixture in the sun or under a bright light (black light). Put it on your hair and voila, glowing hair gel.

Share

Recommendations

  • First Time Author Contest 2018

    First Time Author Contest 2018
  • Sew Warm Contest 2018

    Sew Warm Contest 2018
  • Paper Contest 2018

    Paper Contest 2018
user

We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.

Tips

Questions

64 Comments

Why not just break open a glow stick, mix it with stiff hair gel and put it in the hair? I think it would last at least 6 hrs. right? I think the glow stick stuff is safe and non-toxic (pretty sure anyway).

glow sticks are very toxic so I suggest that you don't do that ?

Thanks for your concern, I appreciate that ;-)

I just googled 'are glow sticks safe?' and it states it's not dangerous, just mildly toxic (as in, it will cause a burning sensation of the skin on some people and would have the same feeling in the mouth and stomach if swallowed). I would only put it in the hair, so as long as it doesn't touch the skin in any way, I think it would be okay, but one must always use caution in anything you try (always good to be extra cautious). Here's what one website showed, thanks again:

Are Glow Products Safe?

Items that glow have delighted children and adults for years. The
question surrounding the safety of the liquid inside glowing sticks,
bracelets, and other glow novelties often arises among concerned
parents.

People aren't just worried about their children either. The Animal Poison Control Center
of the ASCPA receives masses of similar calls from concerned pet owners
each year. With this overwhelming concern for public safety, it's a
surprise that glow products are such big sellers.

Glowing novelty products, such as bracelets and sticks, are safer
than the common household cleaners you find in a typical home. Your
young child is far more likely to be seriously hurt from choking on a
small glow toy than by splashing herself with the liquid contained
inside.

What Creates the Glow?

The liquid inside of some glow products is a chemical called dibutyl
phthalate. Glow products that don't use dibutyl phthalate use a small
glass ampoule that contains a mixture of hydrogen peroxide dissolved in
phthalic ester. Surrounding the glass ampoule is another chemical called
phenyl oxalate ester.

Dibutyl phthalate, widely considered the more dangerous of the above
components, is used to manufacture plastics, glues, nail polish,
leather, printing inks, safety glass, dyes and is used as a solvent for
perfume.

Poison Control Comments

None of these chemicals are deadly dangerous, according to The National Capital Poison Center

The advice from poison control for ingestion of the so-called
glowing toxic liquid chemical is much the same. Rinse your mouth out
well, drink a little milk, and call poison control, which will again,
stay in touch to make sure you're fine. Poison control encourages people
to stay in touch often because different individuals can have various
reactions to chemicals.

The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Comments

The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is considered one of the
best children's hospitals in the country, possibly the world. The
hospital's poison control center reports that, "dibutyl phthalate is not
a poison; it is an irritant. The best treatment for any exposure to
dibutyl phthalate is water."


Uhhmmm.. Does Glow Stick Smell??.. Cause I Think It Does.....

How long the stored gel will retain it's glow? This is an interesting instructable I must say :) Btw, after you try this, you still have all you hair intact right? Just checking :)

Hair still here. The glow can be seen for hours, this batch of glow powder didn't seem to last as long as usual and the plunger for the gel container got bunged up by the larger than usual granuals of powder... I am wondering if I can use a pedistal and morter to grind the crystals finer.... also wondering where I can get a pedistal and morter to carry out aforementioned grinding.

If you grind the larger waterproof granules, they will lose their waterproof properties & it will damage their effectiveness in glowing.

user

i know you asked this three years ago, but check ebay or you can go to any cooking store and get one,

Mann i hate commenting on old ibles because it feels like i missed all the action

You think you were a little late???