Introduction: Gluten-Free Bread (without Icky Gums!)
Gluten-free breads are usually made with xanthan gum and guar gum or other additives to help give it a texture more similar to standard bread. This bread uses egg whites and flax seeds to replace the gluten, and doesn't require any gums (which seem a little weird to me, and can be hard to find and a bit pricey). This recipe is based on one from The Herbwife's Kitchen - it's similar to a hearty wheat bread and makes awesome toast.
Note: This gluten-free cheese bread also doesn't use any gums and the finished product is light, puffy, and delicious.
Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- 2 egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk (whole or 2%), room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup flax seeds, ground
- 3/4 cup millet flour (a few extra tablespoons may be needed depending on the size of your eggs and the humidity of the air)
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- Oil for pan (approximately a tablespoon)
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Coffee/spice grinder, blender, or other grinding device
- Small loaf pan or muffin tin
- Towel to cover while rising
Step 2: Stir It Up
- Mix together the egg whites and eggs
- Stir in milk, salt, yeast, and honey
- Grind flax seeds and add to the milk mixture
- Let stand to absorb - the mixture should become rather slimy and thickened
- Stir in millet flour and let stand until moisture absorbs slightly
- Mix in tapioca flour. The dough will be wetter than some other doughs and will be rather sticky and stretchy
- Cover with a towel and place in a warm spot to rise for approximately 45 minutes
Step 3: Bake and Nom
- Transfer the dough to a greased loaf pan, muffin tin, or other baking dish. Cover the pan with a towel, place in a warm spot, and allow to rise for 30-45 minutes
- Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 30 minutes or until browned (if you use mini loaf pans like the ones used here or muffin tins, baking will only take about 15 minutes). When done, the loaf will sound hollow when the bottom is tapped
- Allow to cool slightly, slice, and enjoy!