Introduction: Gluten Free Cupcakes for Breakfast
For the Cupcakes:
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa (or about 1/2 cup of leftover COOKED quinoa)
1 cup certified gluten free oat flour (I make my own using rolled oats in the food processor)
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
For the Frosting:
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
3 TB honey
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Or, if you happen to have some leftover in the fridge (without any seasonings in it), you can use 1/2 cup of leftover cooked quinoa. While the quinoa is cooking on the stove, make the frosting.
3. Add 1 cup of ricotta, 1/2 cup of butter and 3 TB of honey to your food processor. Turn on high speed and mix for about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and process again for another 20-30 seconds...until the frosting is completely smooth.
4. Transfer frosting from the food processor to a small covered bowl and store in the fridge while the cupcakes bake.
5. In your stand mixer with the paddle attachment on low, mix the eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, and ricotta cheese.
6. Make sure your bananas are mashed really well, then add the mashed bananas and coconut palm sugar to the mixing bowl. Mix on med-low until well combined.
7. Add in the oat flour, salt and baking soda. Mix well. By this point your quinoa should be done.....add the cooked quinoa into the mixer and mix on medium speed until everything is completely combined (no lumps).
8. Add the chocolate chips to the batter and mix using the "stir" setting on the mixer (very low speed).
9. Pour the batter evenly into a muffin tin lined with 12 paper baking cups.
10. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Remove from pan immediately after baking and cool cupcakes on a wire cooling rack. This prevents the bottoms from getting soggy in the pan. Cool completely before frosting. Makes 12 cupcakes.
Notes: These were inspired by an upcoming houseguest who announced her 4 year old eats "Nothing, unless there are chocolate chips in it." Challenge accepted! These turned out better than I had hoped for. They are delicious on their own, and taste like dessert with the added ricotta cheese frosting! These would be perfect to serve at a brunch with eggs...
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.