Finger millet (Eleusine coracana), commonly known as Ragi in India, is widely grown in Asian and African countries and is known to be gluten-free. Here is a simple recipe to make steamed noodles using Ragi flour.
Step 1: Ingredients
- About two cups of Ragi Flour (you can get it from any Asian store)
- Half a coconut (Raw coconut is gluten-free)
- About one cup of water
- Gluten free sugar to taste (Available in many grocery stores)
- Salt to taste
Step 2: Special Utensils
Special utensils required
- An Idli cooker or a vessel you can use for steaming
- Noodle press
Step 3: Preparation
- Take one cup of water in a pan.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Take two cups of Ragi flour in another pan
- Add salted water in small quantities to make a thick dough
- Grate the half coconut and keep separately.
Step 4: Cooking
- Boil water in the Idli cooker or in a steam cooker
- Keep the Idli pan covered with a clean cotton cloth over boiling water
- Fill the Noodle press with the prepared Ragi dough
- Press the noodles over the pan with cotton cloth in the steam cooker
- Cover the steam cooker with the lid.
- Check to see whether the noodles are properly steamed. It may take about eight to ten minutes in medium heat to cook
- remove the cooked noodles from the steam cooker and transfer to a plate