Step 1: Introduction
Step 2: Ingredients
3 Mixing bowls
9x9 baking pan
¼ cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups gluten-free flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup orange juice
1 ½ cup cranberries
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Note: May need 1 teaspoon of Xantham gum.
Note: Can also add orange zest.
½ cup gluten-free flour
½ cup brown sugar
3 tables spoons butter (Do not soften.)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ cup chopped walnuts
Step 3: Baking
2. Preheat oven to 350 ⁰F. Grease 9” square baking pan.
3. Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
4. Beat in the eggs.
5. Add vanilla.
6. In a second mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Note: Xantham gum may be needed to help rise the coffeecake, add to dry mixture.
7. Add half of the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
8. Add orange juice to wet mixture.
9. Add remainder of dry mixture to the wet mixture.
10. Add cranberries.
Note: Also add orange zest.
11. In a separate bowl, combine all topping ingredients and mix. Topping should be crumbly.
12. Spread batter into baking pan.
13. Sprinkle topping over the batter.
14. Bake until tester comes out clean, approximately 45 minutes.
Note: To use a tester, stick a toothpick in the middle of the coffeecake. If tester comes out without any batter on it, the coffeecake is done.
15. Cool coffeecake on wire rack and cut 4x4 into 16 pieces.
Step 4: Alternatives
1. One can use rice flour and millet flour instead of all-purpose gluten-free flour. Use ¾ cup of rice flour and ¾ cup of millet flour and ½ cup of potato starch for the coffeecake batter. Use ¼ cup of rice flour and ¼ cup of potato starch for the topping.
2. One could use blueberries instead of cranberries. Replace cranberries with blueberries and orange juice with milk.
3. To change recipe into a pineapple coffeecake, use only one large egg. Replace cranberries with diced pineapple chunks which can be fresh or canned. Replace orange juice with 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt and ¼ cup canola oil.
This recipe was adapted from the Gluten-Free Homemaker.
Etherton, Linda. Cranberry-Orange Coffee Cake. 6 November 2009. 6 March 2013 <http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/2009/11/cranberry-orange-coffee-cake/>.