Still not sold?
Well to help you with determining if this instructable would be fun for you to complete I have assembled a checklist of suggested prerequisites that you can use to evaluate your match:
- Have you ever wanted to escape to the great outdoors like Huck Finn?
- Is it summer?
- Do you love adventures?
- Are you poor?
- Is there an unexplored river in your area?
- Have you taken a bet to make a raft and use it for a day from your friends?
Hopefully after this self assessment, you have realized that rafting on the cheap is for you!
- Please look into local boating laws in your area (just call or email a local marina or police dept. and they should be able to set you straight) to figure out if it is legal to be where you will be on a homemade raft. In most places personal watercraft are tolerated very well and you will not need any permit or experience to get started adventuring!
- Wear a lifejacket at all times (as you will be able to see, we wore ours even while the raft was being assembled). This is a no brainer; what you will be making is a cheap, semi-disposable raft and going down a river on it.............tons of stuff can go wrong.
- Let a landlubber know about your adventure (and I don't just mean bragging, let them know the details so that an alarm will be raised quickly if something bad happens. You should brag a little though)
Cool, now let's get down to business...