This is a recipe for a lemon chiffon cake with decorating tips to create your own Goodnight Moon cake
Step 1: Supplies
- 2 1/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oil (safflower oil suggested)
- 7 large eggs separated + 3 additional whites
- 2/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon lemon curd (optional)
For decoration you need frosting, colored candy melts, fondant and toothpicks.
Step 2: Make Batter
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cake flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Then add all but 2 tablespoons of sugar (set aside)
- Make a well in the center of the bowl.
- Zest and juice lemons, and separate eggs.
- Add oil, egg yolks, water, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla to the well and then beat until smooth.
- If you want a stronger lemon flavor, you can choose to add some lemon curd.
Step 3: Finish With Egg Whites and Bake
- In another bowl, beat 10 egg whites until frothy and then add cream of tartar.
- Continue to beat until soft peaks form when the beater is raised. Beat in 2 tablespoons of sugar until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised slowly.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter by hand until just blended.Cut partridge paper to fit the bottom of your pan and grease.
- Pour into pans. I used two 9 inch square pans (stills pretty full), but the recipe is meant for a 10 inch tube pan.
- Run a knife through the batter to prevent air pockets.Bake for about 30 minutes (longer for the tube pan) at 325 degrees.
Step 4: Decorate
- Let cake cool before releasing from the pan.
- Make frosting. I made my usual buttercream frosting but whipped in a little lemon juice and lemon curd to taste.
- The main technique I used for the book cover is a chocolate drawing method that I created. I full photo tutorial can be found for this here.
- All of the animals and furniture were made out of fondant and tooth picks(to help with stabilizing)