Step 1: What You Will Need
- 1 Package regular hot dogs
- 1 Package Jumbo hot dogs.
- 1 Turnip.
- Lettuce ( optional ).
- Cutting board.
- Tooth picks if serving a crowd.
For the specimen jar you will add:
- 1 Small jar for each toe.
- 1 LED light for each toe.
For the Coroner's Office you will add:
- 1 Loaf pan.
- 5 Skewers.
- Dental floss.
- White cardboard for the tag and door.
- Clear contact paper for the window.
Coroner's Office font here: http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/searchresults.htm?kid=backwards+&st=12&osadcampaign=1001&submit=Search
- Reynolds wrap.
- Small white cloth.
- Something like batting to form the body.
- Several rubber bands.
- Marker pen.
Step 2: Cook the Dogs
- It is best to boil the dogs to give them a realistic look.
- You can get 2 big toes out of 1 Jumbo hot dog.
Step 3: Carving the Dogs/ Turnips
- The trick of carving is to carefully make a thin cut.
- Carve leaving a little of the edges alone to make it more realistic.
- Trim a slit so the turnip or toe nail can slip under to secure it.
- Trim a toe nail from the turnip rounding the edges. You want this pretty thin so it is transparent.
Step 4: Placing the Toe Nail
- Slip the toe nail into the slit and position it to look natural.
Step 5: Place Them on a PLate
- You can either place them on a serving platter or plate with ketchup in the center to make it look gruesome.
- I used the lettuce to enhance the picture but lettuce is not needed necessarily.
- Tooth picks are optional.
Step 6: Jar Specimen
- Place the toe in a baby food jar.
- Put the lid on top.
- Place a LED light under the jar.
- Turn on the light!
That is all there is to the jar specimen. It looks really cool.
Step 7: Coroner's Office
- Cut out the cardboard for the backdrop.
- Draw a door with a window.
- Cut out the window.
- Draw the door knob.
- Print out the text for the door.
- Cut it out.
- Cut 2 of the clear contact paper to fit the opening of the window.
- Center the text on the window pane and stick it to it.
- Stick the 2ND piece of contact paper over the text.
- Set aside while you work on the table.
Step 8: The Table
- Place the Styrofoam in the loaf pan.
- Cover the loaf pan with tin foil.
- The tin foil keeps the hot dogs from touching the foam.
- Make a dummy from batting or cotton.
- Place the dummy on the table.
- Cover the dummy with the white cloth.
Step 9: Adding the Toes
- Stick a skewer in the center of each toe.
- Set the toes out on the cutting board to form the shape of a foot.
- Mark the skewer where it needs to be cut.
- Cut off the extra where you marked.
- Place each toe in order at the end of the table into the foam.
- It should look like the picture.
Step 10: Tagging the Corpse
- Cut a piece of the white cardboard for the tag.
- Punch a small hole in the corner to insert the dental floss.
- Tie the dental floss to the tag.
- Write the name on the tag.
- Tie the tag to the big toe.
Does that look awesome or what?
Step 11: Back Drop
- Place the table where it will be.
- Either tape the back drop to a wall or:
- Tape it to the end of the table.
Step 12: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
If I was to win the Epilog Challenge I could create a lot more projects that I can't make now. Precision cutting is needed for more intricate crafts. The sky is the limit with a precision cutter.
Thank you for stopping in and do have a Happy Halloween!