It's a brilliant way to use up unripe tomatoes if the weather (like this year) hasn't been great for them. I picked 5kg of green tomatoes from my allotment as they were starting to get blight then made two batches of this stuff. Some will be saved for Christmas presents and some will get eaten over the year.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 2.5kg green tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 0.5kg onions, finely sliced
- 4 tsp / 30g salt
- 1L malt vinegar
- 0.5kg soft light brown sugar
- 250g sultanas, roughly chopped
- 3 tsp / 20g ground pepper
- Preserving pan or other large lidless pan. I prefer a 10 L stainless stock pot.
- 7 - 10 jars with lids
- Food wrap / cling film
- Sticky labels
- I find a jam funnel really useful. Especially for larger bits of tomato.
Approximate cost: 2.5 GBP per batch (if you grew the tomatoes).