Introduction: Gravity Falls Journal Three
I've been meaning to make one of these for awhile after getting into the show but I was struggling to come up with a cheap way to do it and still have it look good. After some thinking I came up with a way that only cost me around 10 dollars and it didn't take that long to make. I'm really happy with the way it turned out and can't wait to show how I made it.
Step 1: Paint the Book
It's near impossible to find a book that's the right size, colour and with no writting on the hard cover. Because of this and not wanting to spend 20 dollars on a real journal I ended up painting mine. To do this I picked a book the the right shape and with as little writing on the cover, my book was already red so the repainting it was simple but if it was a brighter colour you just need to paint a black layer first. It will take a few coats to get the whole thing covered epically any lettering on the cover but if you keep at if eventually you'll get it covered.
Step 2: Cutting Out the Details
I'm really picky when it comes to sizing of things and how they look so I ended up printing a picture of the journal the was the same hight as mine. This made it easy to just cut of the details of the journal and have them look exactly how they are supposed to. I cut out the hand, corners and two straps for the spine of journal out of craft foam.
Step 3: Adding the Number
Then next step is to paint tge hand and cut out the number in the middle of your printed hand, this turns you paper hand into a stencil that can be used to trace the number three or whatever number you pick on. After that it just needed to be painted or coloured in black and you're all good.
Step 4: Making Rips
This by far was the most nerve-wracking part of this whole project. I took printed pictures so I knew where the rips were and lightly traced around them well having the paternity on the book with my knife. This way when I took it away I had an outline of where the rip was before I went over it again. The second time over I cut into the first layer of two of the cardboard/ paper of the cover and peeled it off. I did this all over the back and the front the same way.
Step 5: Putting It Together
lastly I glued it all together with some hot glue and placed in a tassel that I got off an old bottle and painted the symbols on the back. A few things I didn't get to add but would really help the way it look would be adding a monocle and small gold gems/ circles on the corner peices.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.