This delicious & healthy traditional Greek stuffed tomatoes recipe (Donates Yemista) is a summer staple when tomatoes are in season. The flavor, texture, and aroma of this Greek dish makes it one of my favorite Mediterranean meals. I did put my own spin on this dish, I added extra protein, cut down on the amount of the olive oil, and took out the potato wedges that are traditionally served with this meal. You can also use the same filling for bell peppers, zucchini, or any other vegetables that you prefer!
Calories and Macros per serving (4 servings total, excluding the bread): 344 calories, 12F, 29C, 5 Fiber, 10 sugars, 27P
Ingredients: 8 medium beefsteak tomatoes or just large tomatoes 1 pound 10% fat ground beef (use leaner beef or less calories) 60 g jasmine rice dry or brown rice 3 minced garlic 1 large chopped onion 2 chopped medium zucchini 1 cup chopped parsley 1 chicken stock cube or beef stock cube 2 tbsp tomato paste Dry oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
Optional: serve with bread or feta cheese
Preheat the oven at 350˚F or 180˚C
1. Cut the top of the tomatoes off, reserve, and use a spoon to scoop out the tomato flesh. Collect the flesh in a large bowl. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dry oregano. Puree then set aside.
2. Brown the ground beef with salt and pepper at medium high heat, then add in rice, zucchini, onion, garlic, parsley, chicken/beef stock, tomato paste, 1/2 of the tomato puree made from step 1. Season with salt, pepper, and dry oregano. Mix thoroughly and simmer for ~ 15 min.
3. Line a large baking pan with Al foil. Season the bottom with salt, pepper, and dry oregano. Season the insides of the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Scoop in the beef and rice mixture into the tomatoes. Top the tomatoes with the reserved caps. Season the caps with salt and pepper.
4. Arrange all of the 8 tomatoes in a single layer, add in the remaining tomato puree from step 1, and top the tomatoes with the left over beef and rice mixture. Season everything one last time with salt, pepper, and dry oregano. Bake at 350˚F for 30 min.
5. Let the tomatoes rest for 10 to 15 min before serving.
One serving contains 2 stuffed tomatoes. You can serve them with some sliced whole grain bread, 1/2 oz feta cheese, and any other sides you prefer.
Hopefully you enjoy this delicious and healthy traditional Greek dish and for more tasty and healthy lunch & dinner recipe ideas below: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5eJCT09znHyIGeN6mTiKLHxe2lEFnqJt
Check out my other health/fitness/recipe videos here: https://www.youtube.com/c/getfitwithmindynow