I'm so excited to share this with everyone! It was very experimental so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, and I was blown away by the results. It is THE CUPCAKE that has ruined all other cupcakes for me. I just don't think I can go back to paper-lined cupcakes AGAIN! Thank goodness I have an apple tree!
You will need:
6 green apples
1 spice cake mix (or your favorite recipe)
Frosting (I ended up making carmel frosting)
1. First prep your apples by removing any stickers & washing them.
2. Mix up your cake batter as directed & set it aside
3. Cut your apples in half
4. Core them out using a large spoon & leaving about 1/4" edge
5. Place your hollowed out apple cups into a muffin pan
6. Chop any salvageable chunks of apple up and throw them in the cake batter.
7. Fill your newly made apple cups nearly to the top with batter. (You will have plenty leftover for whatever else you would like too)
8. Bake as directed for your cake recipe until springy to the touch. (or toothpick method)
9. Remove from the oven and let them sit about 5 minutes.
10. Gently scoop them from the pan using a spoon or fork & transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely
11. Once cooled whip up your favorite frosting and frost them. (Try some salted carmel frosting!)
When I first took a bite of one of these I literally went weak in the knees. The cake stays so moist because of the juicies & there are multiple textures involved. I think the best part is that there are no pesky cupcake liners laying around everywhere because the entire cupcake is edible. I will say that the carmel frosting takes it to over the top deliciousness! Originally I was going to just use some store bought stuff, but the smell of spiced apples baking got me thinking of carmel. It complements the treat perfectly, you've got to try it. Here's the recipe I used. ( I did mix some of the store bought into mine too for kicks & giggles)
Salted Carmel Frosting:
1 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C butter or margarine
1/4 C milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 to 2 C confectioners’ sugar
Combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until
frosting reaches desired consistency. Frost your cupcakes and sprinkle with a little sea salt.