Confession: I rarely make the same recipe more than 2 or 3 times. I like to try new things and I get bored easily.
I created these bars two months ago and have made them 10 times already! Yes, they are that good. I am trying really hard to incorporate more vegetables into all of our family's meals, but the thought of eating vegetables for breakfast is not very appealing. What I really want in the morning is a donut and a cup of tea. These bars are a happy compromise!
Spinach + Kale + Flax + Almonds + Oats + Dark Chocolate.....
The best part is that you spend an hour making them on Sunday afternoon, pop them in the fridge and they last all week long. It takes me longer to make a cup of tea in the morning than it does to prep our breakfast. One of these bars and a banana keeps me full until lunch. No weekday cooking or washing dishes required!
Bonus: My 6 year old gobbles these up and calls them "cookies." Knowing that its 8am and your child has already consumed spinach and kale feels a little like walking around all day with an invisible tiara on your head. Seriously.
**Note....this recipe requires a food processor and a stand mixer (or really strong arm muscles). It makes about 24 bars that can be stored in the fridge or freezer.
Step 1: Ingredients
6 large eggs
5 oz fresh spinach (the plastic boxed lettuces at most grocery stores are exactly 5 oz)
5 oz fresh kale
3 cups almond flour
2 cups certified gluten free rolled oats
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup ground flax
3 Tablespoons coconut flour
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
**Note: You can double the spinach and omit the kale if you only have spinach on hand. I use two different greens for variety.
Step 2: Instructions
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Put the eggs, spinach and kale into the bowl of your food processor. Process until VERY smooth (and there are no big pieces of leaves left....at least 20 seconds). You may not be able to fit all of the greens in at once. Its ok to add half first, process, and then add the rest and process again.
3. Transfer your green egg mixture to the bowl of your stand mixer. Add in the vanilla, salt, coconut flour, ground flax, maple syrup and melted coconut oil. Mix on low speed for about 20 seconds. Add in the almond flour and mix again for about 20 seconds (starting at low speed and ending on medium speed). Finally, add the rolled oats and chocolate chips and use the "stir" setting until just combined.
4. Transfer the batter to your two baking dishes. I use one 8x8" and one 9x13" glass pyrex dish. Use a spoon to spread out the batter and smooth the top.
5. Bake at 400 degrees F for 28 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely on the counter for a few hours. Then cover and cool in fridge overnight.
**Its important to let these cool overnight in the fridge because the taste of the spinach and kale disappears as they cool. If you taste them right out of the oven (or still warm) they taste odd.
6. Cut into bars and store in the fridge. They also freeze really well...cut into bars before freezing and defrost in the fridge overnight.