Introduction: Green Tea Pancakes With Ginger Syrup (Vegan)
If you're wondering what to bring to a brunch, these fancy flapjacks will be a hit! They are also great for a weekend afternoon of Netflix : )
Decent vegan pancakes have seemed unattainable to me for some time. I tried making them with soy milk and egg substitutes, both resulting in unfortunate texture issues. Almond milk, however, works great! They are a little lighter than a regular pancake, but not obviously lacking anything. And the almond flavor goes well with green tea.
The syrup is super spicy, but not stinging or lingering.
Step 1: Ginger Syrup: Ingredients and Tools
Ginger Syrup Ingredients
1 cup fresh ginger, sliced
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
5 Tbs Light Corn Syrup
Juice from 1/2 Lemon
Glass or plastic container
Step 2: Make Ginger Syrup
- Add sugar, water and lemon juice to saucepan and slowly bring to a simmer, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon.
- Once sugar is dissolved, carefully mix in corn syrup and add chopped ginger slices.
- Bring to a boil for 5 minutes
- Bring back down to a simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
To thicken syrup without corn syrup you can use honey. After mixture cools, mix in the honey and heat on low to incorporate (boiling honey will break it down too much to thicken).
Once cooled, use a funnel to pour into a glass or plastic container. Keeps very well for 2 -3 weeks, but starts to lose taste after that.
Step 3: Pancakes: Ingredients and Tools
Green Tea Pancake Ingredients
1 cup Flour
1 3/4 Almond Milk
2 Tbs Baking Powder
2 Tbs Sugar
1 tsp Matcha
Oil or margarine for skillet
Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
Electric Mixer or Hand Whisk
Step 4: Make Pancakes
- Mix dry ingredients
- Add in almond milk and mix until smooth
- Pour on preheated skillet
- Flip when edges look dry and bubbles have formed
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.