Introduction: Grilled Watermelon With Chervil and Mint Sauce
This is a surprisingly easy recipe for a dish that looks really great at any party or occasion. It's light enough to be eaten as either an appetizer, a dessert or even just an afternoon snack. Not only does it taste great but the grilled watermelon really adds some pop to it and should wow any party guests.
Step 1: Ingredients
For the grilled watermelon:
- Fresh watermelon sliced into wedges 1 inch thick
- Cooking oil (I like coconut spray)
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp white suger
- 4 eggs
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 Handfuls of fresh chervil
- 2 Handfuls of fresh mint
- 1 Stick of butter
Step 2: Lemon, Chervil, Mint Syrup
- Finely chop the chervil and mint.
- Heat the lemon juice, sugar and 1/2 of the finely chopped herbs in a small pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then simmer stirring continuously.
- After 2-3 mins take of the heat and strain into a clean cup and leave aside to cool.
Step 3: Emulsify the Eggs
- Separate the eggs into a metal bowl
- Whisk together until they double in size.
- Add the lemon syrup and whisk until the mixture puffs up and doubles in size again.
Step 4: Make the Sauce
- Place the butter in a cup and heat in the microwave for 15-20 seconds until melted
- In a small saucepan, bring some water to the boil then lower the heat so that it's just simmering (or a double boiler if you have one)
- Place the metal bowl with the egg mixture on top of the saucepan stirring continuously
- Slowly drizzle the butter into the bowl continuing to stir until the butter is completely incorporated
- Add the rest of the chopped herbs and continue to stir
- After about 2-3 mins the sauce should thicken up to a custard like consistency
- If the sauce should get too thick (see pic 4 in this section) you can add a bit of warm water to bring it back to nice creamy consistency
- Once the sauce is done pour into a jug and set aside for serving
Step 5: Grill the Watermelon
- Set your grill to high
- Lightly coat the watermelon in oil (or spray)
- Make sure the grill is properly cleaned (watermelon will easily pick up any flavour left on the grill)
- Place the watermelon slices directly on the grill turning once very minute cooking each side twice
- Make sure you turn the slices 90 degrees every time you flip them so you get a nice crisscross grill pattern.
Step 6: Plate and Serve
- Drizzle some of the sauce on a plate
- Place the slices on the sauce and drizzle a little more sauce on each slice
- Garnish with some mint leaves and serve
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.