Step 1: What you'll need
2. Grip tape. I got a piece 3'x1' at my local skate shop for around $5.
3. Scissors, trauma shears work best, but any will do (warning, cutting the grip tape can scratch them)
4. Some kind of craft knife. (yellow thing in the picture)
5. Not necessary, but makes it a lot easier. Screwdrivers to dismantle the knife. If your doing an Emerson you'll need a small/mid sized flat head screw driver and a #0 Phillips head screwdriver.
If you decide to partially dismantle the knife keep in mind that most manufactures say that taking the knife apart voids the warranty (Emerson dose not) so keep that in mind.
6. Not in picture, fine point sharpie or ball point pen.