Facts about hot air balloon
Hot air balloons (in the east known as sky lantern) fly when the air inside the hot air balloon is less dense than the air surrounding it. Hot air is less dense than cool air; the heated air causes the balloon to rise simply because it is lighter than an equal volume of cold air. Buoyancy is an upward force that the air exerts, and it helps hot air balloons and blimps stay in the air. A hot air balloon uses a heat source to heat up the air inside the balloon.
This is an instructable of making a hot air balloon from a grocery bag.
The reason I did this instructable was my passion of hot air balloon.
Step 1: Items
Items(This items are easily get from your local store)
- Grocery bag (I find the biggest ones)
- 4 drinking straws
- Sticky tape
- Aluminium foil
Step 2: The Frame
- Firstly, I attach every ends of the straws with the sticky tape. (I make sure that the usage of the tape are just adequate as not to add extra weight to the frame)
- I tape the straws so that the angle of each corner is 90 degree.
- When finished, it will look like a square.
Step 3: The Platform
- I cut the thread into two and tie the threads in the middle (the thread should be long enough to be tied at each corner of the frame later).
- Then, I cut the aluminium foil in square.
- Using a needle with the thread, I link every corner of the squared foil. (Be very careful not accidentally tear the foil in the process)
- To secure the fixture, I attach the sticky tape in the middle.
Step 4: The Carriage
- I tie each thread's end to the frame.(you need a lot of patience and nimble fingers)
- The facing downside will be the side with the tape and the facing upside is without the tape.
- In the center of the foil, I will put a candle (or a few).
Step 5: The Balloon
- I attach the under carriage to the grocery bag with stick tape.
- Then, I light the candle and let the bag expand slowly. (It will take a while before the balloon is fully expand. You can add additional candles to quickly assist the process)
- I test the balloon for a while before let it go to rise.
- Please watch the test flight video.
FYI, I burn a few balloons before I succeed :D
Please don't forget to vote for me.