also makes peat pellets along with a couple other off brand. Jiffy and Ferry-Morse are the major brands that I have seen. Here is one I found on amazon, its about a dollar cheaper (before shipping) than the one i purchased at the big box home improvement store.
Step 1: Supplies
A window greenhouse
Seeds, we did vegetables
Pencil (Not Pictured)
water (Also Not Pictured)
Step 2: Step 1
Pour in the water. Depending on the size of the container you purchase the amount of water may vary.
We added 3.5 cups of water.
Sit back and watch them expand.
Pour off the extra water.
Step 3: Step 2
OK now that they have all puffed up its time to pull back the netting.
Flatten the top lightly with your finger.
Now that its pulled back use a pencil or a pen to poke three or so holes in the pellet.
Now gently place seeds in each of the holes and cover lightly.
Place the lid on top and keep it out of direct sunlight.
Step 4: Step 3
When the seeds sprout prop the lid open.
When the pellets get dry add a little more water in.
I poured the water around the sides so the water was spread out even and didn't hit the top of the pellets.
Step 5: Step 4
When all the seeds have sprouted remove the lid and place in the window.
When true leaves appear cut back the weaker sprouts.
So far this is as far as I have gotten. I will update as I plant in the ground. I will continue with the instructions.
*** I have also been informed that the pellets may not be as biodegradable as they claim. It was suggested that the netting be removed from pellets before planting. I will let you know how it goes when I actually plant them.
Step 6: Step 5
Dig a hole and place it in.
Add water to help it grow.
Firm down the soil around the top.
The instruction suggests using transplant soil.
Step 7: Planting Day
All of the pellets had one to three sprouts in them with the exception of two. Another one which was supposed to be a bell pepper ended up being a vine of some sort, we will see what it turns out to be.
For planting pellets.
1. till or at least soften up the dirt.
2. dig a hole as deep as the pellet and twice as wide.
3. Remove the weakest sprouts. I didn't do that for a couple, just to see what would happen.
4. dampen the bottom of the hole.
5. dampen pellet
6. I planted some with the netting on and some with it off. I was informed that they don't grow as well with the netting on. But when I went to pull the netting off some of the roots that jutted out went with it. So if you choose to remove the netting be gentle.
7. fill hole half way, water.
8. fill the hole up to the top of the pellet.
9. gentle flatten surrounding soil.
11+ continue to water regularly, we have been getting a lot of rain lately so I am less worried about it. But watering is very important in the first few weeks of the growing process.
Step 8: Growth Update
So far the peppers have been producing like crazy and the basil is growing so well we are freezing some of it. I am excited to try and make pesto.
The cilantro has gone to flower which I understand is a bad thing, but we are still using some of the leaves.
The fennel is actually growing which I am surprised considering that end of the garden was flooded early on and we lost all of the Okra.
Can't use enough peppers, can't wait to grow more next year!!! Also we may try seed drying, so we can reuse our pepper seeds.
Step 9: NEW GROWING!!!
I really like the tree and hope to use some day long down the road as wood for a carving project. OSAGE ORANGE. Its an interesting tree with a wonderful history in America. It is a beautiful orange wood and the tree produces an inedible fruit that is said to have the ability to ward off insects.
The shrub is Stag Horn Sumac. Its a pretty plant which also produces "fruit" not really edible unless made into a tea or lemonade. It can be used as a house plant or in landscaping. I hope it turns out well.
I got the seeds of ebay if you can believe it. I didn't have much faith in them but it seems they are doing well. I used the same process i did with the veg and herbs. I got a smaller container for cheap on clearance, which is the reason i started this process again.