So, I set forth to repair the guitar the only way I knew how (gluing and clamping) and ended up doing a much larger repair job with it. The results ended up being both functional and aesthetically pleasing and will now guide the direction of the rest of the rebuild.
(subscribe to get updates of the full Frankenstein-ish rebuild.)
Step 1: Don't Lend Your Guitar to Bilal!
As you can see below, there is Bilal with an unsavory robot and my guitar. Now, I am not going to jump to any conclusions from this picture about the trustworthiness of robots, but it would be fair to say that this picture, at the very least, throws into doubt the trustworthiness of Bilal. How can you trust a man that consorts with robots in such a friendly manner? I hear that is how replicants are made!
In short, do not lend your guitar to Bilal.
Step 2: Go Get Stuff
An acoustic guitar with a cracked headstock
1/8" x 12" x 12" translucent red acrylic
12" x 12" copper foil
1/2" wood screws
2" bolts and corresponding nuts
Dry erase markers
Heavy duty spray mount
Various shop tools (and possibly a laser cutter)
Step 3: Glue and Clamp
Apply a thin coat of wood glue to the cracked joint and put the joint back together. Clean up any excess glue. Then use a thin sheet of cork to protect the guitar from being dented by the clamps. Wait overnight for it all to set and then you should be done.
What actually happened:
I applied too much glue. It started to seep into the holes for the front two tuning machines. I had to quickly remove and wash them. I didn't have time to clean off the glue properly as it was everywhere and starting to set. I hastily clamped it in place and let is set overnight. In the morning, I concluded that albeit, it looked ugly, I had in fact glued it as planned. Unfortunately, after applying a little bit of force to the head, I concluded this wasn't going to hold and needed to be reinforced. Move on to Plan B (step 4).
Step 4: Cut Acrylic
The idea here is to make two pieces of acrylic which will sandwich the headstock and be bolted together, hence acting as a sort of 'splint' to keep the head from cracking in half again.
Step 5: Cut Flames
Next draw awesome flames with the copper foil and cut that out as well.
Finally, you can hammer the copper flat with a hammer. If you hammer both sides it will prevent curling.
Step 6: Trace Holes
Anyhow, in case you haven't gathered, you should trace circles for mounting holes.
Step 7: Cut Holes
Step 8: Make More Flames
As such, I have produced a second smaller set of flames by the same method as the first.
Step 9: Apply Epoxy
Step 10: Attach the Top Flames
Spray an even coat of spray mount on the back side of the flames. Press that firmly to the acrylic. You can get even pressure by pushing the acrylic down onto the flames on a sheet of wax paper.
Wait a few minutes for it to dry and then punch and/or cut out holes in the copper flames.
Lastly, clean off any stray stickiness with a towel coated in acetone.
Step 11: Attach
Sandwich the bottom layer of copper and the top layer of acrylic onto the headstock.
Reapply all of the nuts and use a wrench to tighten them back into place.
Step 12: Reinforce
Clamp everything together with nuts and bolts. Insert small wood screw into any unused holes in the back to better hold that piece in place.
Step 13: Shape the Headstock
Trim the bolts to size with a Dremel and also file down any sharp unwanted edges.
You should now be ready to string it up. I didn't do this yet, however, because I still want to do some wicked-awesome modifications.