Introduction: Gum Wrapper Stylus
Make a capacitive stylus! Spend nothing!
Know anyone one who buys chewing gum or cigarettes? Wrappers with one side foil (conductive) and one side paper (insulator) can be rolled into a capacitive stylus!
- I've tried the other DIY stylus ideas. The sponge stylus isn't capacitive enough, and antistatic foam will leave black powder on your screen.
- I've used this wrapper stylus a couple months, the paper tip does not scratch or leave residue, in fact it picks up dirt off the screen.
- After it gets dirty just throw it away, make another. Easy gifts!
Step 1: Step 1: Find a Gum Pack or Cigarette Carton
- You need a wrapper with one side shiny foil (conductive) and one side clean paper (insulator).
- Chewing gum or cigarette packs usually have this. If you use a chewing gum wrapper, wipe any gum powder off the paper first.
- Carefully remove the wrapper from the rest of the package.
Step 2: Step 2: Get a Metal Handle
- The handle must be conductive (metal).
- Take any cylindrical object, like a pen, and wrap tin foil around it. Tape it secure.
- You can also use an aluminum rod (broken antenna) as a handle.
Step 3: Step 3: Roll the Wrapper Into a Tube
- Place the foil/paper wrapper flat with the paper side down.
- Place the end of your handle on the foil.
- Roll the longest side around the end of the handle into a tight tube. Tape it secure.
Step 4: Step 4: Roll the Capacitive Tip
You should now have a tube extending the metal handle, with the foil inside, and the paper outside.
- Squish the hollow part of the tube flat.
- Roll-up the end of the flattened tube. It should look like a swirl. Tape it secure, leaving the top of the roll exposed as the tip.
Step 5: Step 5: Test It
It takes a few attempts to get one that works real good. A wrapper bigger than a 2 inch square should be enough.
Lots of people just throw these capacitive wrappers away. Reuse the wrappers, keep your dirty fingers off your screen.