Ingredients for one batch (I made three different flavors in these pictures)
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 box (4 packets) plain gelatin
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract or other flavoring
at least 1/2 cup more sugar for coating.
food coloring (optional)
baking pan (8"x8" works well, as does 9"x11")
butter or cooking spray
rolling pin (optional)
1. Grease or butter the baking pan.
2. Combine the 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil.
3. In a separate bowl, dissolve the gelatin in 1/2 cup water. If it is not dissolving all the way, you can add more water. Adding too much can make the gumdrops less sticky and more like really sweet jello if you are not careful, though.
4. Add the gelatin to the sugar water and boil for 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add the flavoring and boil for 5 more minutes.
6. Add food coloring if you want it, and pour the mix into the baking pan and set aside for 3 hours. There may be a white foam or bubbles on the top, which can be taken off with a spoon easily after about an hour.
7. Put sugar on the wax paper. Cut into pieces and roll the pieces in the sugar.
1. Cut a largish piece and put it on the sugared wax paper. Place plenty of sugar on top as well.
2. Cut out a long rectangle from the sheet. Roll it up, pinch one end, and stick it on a toothpick.
3. Place another piece of wax paper on top and flatten into a sheet using the rolling pin.
The gumdrops can be stored in an airtight container.
With some aluminum foil or other dividers, it is possible to create multiple colors at once.
Experiment with different colors, flavors, and shapes. It takes time and patience, but the results can be pretty and tasty.