What better way to celebrate than with some tasty, tasty gummies?
And what better gummies to eat than your own Zombie Ninja Robot Kitten Assassin?
Problem is, you're on a budget and can't afford the latest in gummy-tech. Although Rapid Prototyping Machines are coming down in price, it may still be beyond your price range. Now you have the sads...
In this handy, dandy Instructable we'll walk through the steps to prepare your model, transfer it to make a molding blank, form the mold, make a gummy, and then steal your soul. You are on your own for how to enjoy them. Did I say soul? Forget that.
The original inspiration was to make a Water Elemental. The elemental is based off of Hydross the Unstable. This has a complex shape, which was more difficult to produce.
As a fan of The Elder Scrolls, I wanted to start with a good starting monster, the rat. I made my own spin on it as a fun cartoon mouse. I wanted to use this as part of the example as it is easier to work with due to the simpler geometry.
For whatever reason I can't upload the Elemental into the 123D Gallery, but it is included with the mouse as an attachment to this step.
Once you have your idea, you will need the following tools (or equivalents) (see the last image):
- A block of wood at least slightly larger in all directions than your model. I prefer balsa wood as it is inexpensive and easy to carve.
- Access to a laser printer or photocopy machine. In a pinch try the local library for a copier.
- An iron (the kind you use to iron clothes)
- Tape (masking, duct, Scotch, etc...)
A wood cutting tool. I used a Dremel 565 Multipurpose Cutting Kit on my off-brand "Dremel Style" rotary tool. Alternates include:
- A router (or router attachment for your tool)
- A milling machine
- A router, end mill, or rotary tool cutting bit in a drill press
- Non-toxic acrylic paint
- Several bowls and spoons
- A paper plate
- Wire whisk or fork
- Corn starch
- A microwave
- Gummy candy in your favorite flavor (any shape)
- Light food oil (olive, vegetable, canola, etc...)
- Pearl nonpareils or other decorations