Step 2: HandTalk
The HANDTALK needs to be worn on the hand by the needy and depending on the variation of the movements the device will convert it intelligently into beep (can be voice too) and in a text. This message will be out from the beeper and LCD display. The HANDTALK glove senses the movements through the flex sensors which detects the different patterns of motion. The device can sense carefully each resistance and each movement by the hand. Currently the device can convert only few, but depending on the success of this device few more additional features maybe added later onto this expressive system.
Technology has always been of great help to the disabled and given them a helping hand to allow them to live a normal and healthy life like others. Embedded systems are designed to do some specific task, rather than be a general purpose computer for multiple tasks. “Embedded” reflects the fact that they are an integral part of the system. Some also have real time performance constraints that must be met, for reason such as safety and usability; others may have low or no performance requirements, allowing the system hardware to be simplified to reduce costs. An embedded system is not always a separate block- very often it is physically built-in to the device it is controlling.
Step 3: Hardware and Software Requirnments
- Arduino Uno/Nano
- Flex Sensors (2.2 inch) - 4/5
- Pulse sensor
- GSM Module SIM 900A
- Resistors - 50 K Ohm,10 K Ohm
- LCD Display
- Connecting Wires
- RF Module (If You want Make It Wireless )
Software Requirements :
Step 4: Setup and Working of the Project:
1)Connect all the Flex sensor with Arduino as shown in fig. with proper arrangement of Resistors.
2)Connect the GSM Module with arduino.( Rx and Tx)
3)Fix all the Flex Sensors on the Glove.
4)Connect LCD to arduino.(Pins are discussed in program ).
5)Connect Beeper with arduino. (pin 6)
The hand glove (fitted with Flex sensors and Pulse sensor*) ,GSM module ,RF Transmitter* and Arduino Uno as a Controller. All the gestures made by the hand glove (with Flex sensor ) is converted into different messages and commands for the operation of different devices .Example , if i want to start a fan then a command is send to the receiver end by the microcontroller with the help of RF module and the fan is easily controlled by the corresponding gestures. Now in case, i need water (or wheelchair or anything else) , all I need to do is to make a corresponding gesture accordingly and that gesture would be converted into text message and sent to the other person through the GSM module . Now using the Android app we can convert the text messages into voice also. The Heart beat module is used for the Heart rate monitoring of the patient .If there is any problem in heart rate then a message is also sent to the doctor or family members also. In this project currently we are using seven gestures due to the problem of the accuracy but we can add about 100 plus gestures. Some examples of gestures are in shown in images.
*Pulse sensor is used for heartbeat monitoring.
*RF Transmitter is used for wireless handglove.
Step 5: Connection of Flex Sensor With Arduino
At the place of 50 K resistor,You can use 10 k,20 k or any as per your requirement.
Step 6: Applications :
- It can be used in hospitals that need several measurement systems which can investigate physiological parameters of the patients.
- It can act as a communication aid for the hearing- and speech-impaired persons.
- Using this we can control any electronic machines and devices wirelessly by adding some others gestures and commands.
- This project can be also used as Signed Language Convertor/Interpreter.
- For gaming purposes like 3D gaming, at the place of joysticks.
- It can be used in military actions based on hand gestures, which can be used for squad communication.
- The hand gesture recognition system can be used in robotics, desktop and tablet PC applications and gaming.
- The Handtalk is also can be used for HOME AUTOMATION.
Step 7: Conclusion:
- Sign language is a useful tool to ease the communication between the deaf and the mute community and the normal people. Yet there is a communication barrier between these communities with normal people.
- This project is useful for differently abled, speech-impaired and paralyzed patients who cannot speak properly.
- This work is done to check feasibility of recognizing sign language using flex sensor and accelerometer gloves and displaying the data, which proved to be an efficient system.
- The main feature of this research work is that the gesture recognizer is a standalone system applicable in daily life and for biomedical purposes.
Step 8: Codeing :
Download the .ino file and open with Arduino IDE .
Upload the Code .
Change mobile no according to your requirements.
Change the output command according to your requirements.
Step 9: Note :
A video which is shared above is the video of Handtalk 2 .Currently, I am working on it.
Kindly mention your Suggestion and queries.
Like the Project.
Feel Free to mail on :email@example.com
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.