This recipe is amazing and goes down well every time I make it. I have uploaded a tutorial video (step 2) on making your very own pappardelle if you want to make it that bit more special!
SERVES 4 (GENEROUS PORTIONS)
- 6 Italian Sausages (if like me you cant easily access deli Italian pork Sausages, see the DIY alternative below)
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry White Wine (and a glass for the chef)
- 1 carton of Passata
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 3 -4 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Pappardelle Pasta (see video)
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- Remove the sausage from the casings and break up into pieces (see below if you want to add your own Italian seasoning to normal pork sausages)
- In a large pan, heat the oil over a medium heat.
- Add in your sausage and garlic; cook this stirring frequently until the sausage meat is slightly browned.
- Add in your wine and bring to the simmer and cook until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Stir in the Passata and season to taste and add in half of your Parmesan cheese.
- Reduce to a low heat; stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened (should take around 30mins).
- Meanwhile bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook your pappardelle for 5 mins until al dente.
- Add in a small amount of pasta water to your meat sauce with the basil and stir.
- Add your pappardelle to the sauce and serve with the rest of your Parmesan cheese.
Make your own DIY Italian sausages from normal pork sausage:
Put your sausage meat into a bowl and add in the following to create your very own DIY Italian sausages – Don’t be wimpy, get your hands dirty!
- 6 Pork sausages
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (more if you like it hot)
Step 1: Video Tutorial Here: