- To see if you are eligible, see check the three things shown in the picture. Your system also needs to converge at a central box where you can place an Ethernet switch or router.
- Our house used Leviton QuickPort plates and jacks from Home Depot. This is not strictly necessary, but if you don't you will have to spend extra money on more jacks. This Instructable will assume you are augmenting your existing modular jack system.
- In my house, one two-port plate could be reused, but a three-port plate and many more two-port plates had to be purchased.
- If your house did not have modular RJ-45 jacks you will need to purchase those too.
5. Either a multitool, or a screwdriver, pliers, wire cutters, wire strippers, and knife (razor helps.)
6. Soldering iron and decent soldering skills. "Helping hands" suggested.
In total, to rewire five jacks, I spent about $28. This cost does not go up linearly, as you can purchase items in bulk.