The idea was to get a small group of kids aged 6 to 9 to participate to a robotics contest (http://www.eurobot.org/eng/index.php).
It was a fun journey and they did really well as they went all the way to the European finals (and ranked 19th) with their hacked vacuum cleaner.
I delivered to the team a set of bricks I am going to detail in this instructable.
Each brick is fairly simple to build and requires no soldering.
- a nunchuk controlled arduino that drives the roomba.
- a nunchuk controlled arduino which in turn controls up to 6 servos.
- servos integrated into 'meccano' pieces for kid-friendly use.
So nothing incredibly new here, just bolting existing stuff together... I tripped over enough difficulties that I thought it would be worthwhile summing everything up here...
Step 1: Collect parts !
- 2 x 'generic' nunchuck
- 1 roomba vacuum cleaner
- 2 x arduino
- 2 x sensor shield
- 6 x servos
- meccano 'junior' sets (aka erector in the US ?)
- 2 x female rj45 connector
- a hot glue gun.