This tutorial will guide you to creating those cute, over sized bows that are at times too expensive to even glance at.
Step 1: Materials
1. Sleeve cut offs or pieces of square material. They can be any color or texture you like. Since I use my mother's shirts, they are usually floral and pretty.
3. Thread and Needle (or sewing machine if you fancy that)
4. Buttons or little decorations to cover your stitching in the middle of the bow.
5. A backing piece if you want to use it as a barrette. It can also be sewn onto a head band.
Step 2: Stitching
1. Sew the holes in your bow, using any type of stitch you like. I used a weird version of the overcast stitch where just before I pull the stitch through I pass it behind the thread so it locks the thread in place.
2. In the end you should have two pieces of material that have been completely sewn together around the edges.
NB: The material should be preferably stitched so that it is square. This will make the bow appear more even and professional.
Step 3: Pleating
2. Run your needle and thread through the middle of the pleats to secure the bow.
3. Separate the two layers of the bow to flare the bow and give it a fluffy effect.