Introduction: Half-Moon Cookies
Dense, rich, chocolaty cookies topped with light and dark chocolate icing - it really couldn't get much better, especially around Valentine's day! Especially popular in up-state New York, these cookies combine some of the yummiest things around.
For extra nerd/awesome points, you could make a couple full and new moons, and toss in some waxing and waning gibbouses and crescents for good measure.
Always remember: "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza-pie, that's amore!"
Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- Large bowl
- Spatula/wooden spoon and/or electric mixer
- Teaspoons or small scoop
- Baking sheets lined with parchment paper or Silpat
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Two small bowls
- Two small spatulas/knives
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 3 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate (melted)
Step 2: Making Cookies!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F)
- Cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar
- Add egg, vanilla, and salt and mix until combined
- Mix in cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder
- Add about half the flour and mix to combine
- Stir in milk and remaining flour
- Scoop or spoon dollops of batter onto lined cookie sheets - make sure to leave space between
- Bake 10-12 minutes
- Allow to cool and remove from cookie sheets
Step 3: Making Icing!
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate
- Mix until well combined and fluffy
- Separate into two portions and stir melted chocolate into one
Step 4: The Better Half
- Lift cookies off the cookie sheets
- Flip each cookie over, and using the small knives or spatulas, cover half of the base of each cookie with chocolate icing, and the other with plain icing